I never received the email in question, but I did see it here in a forum. I hope it can be confirmed it time. That said, Mikkel Diskerud and his agent have released a statement regarding the possible acquisition by the Portland Timbers. I feel there was so much interest in this move it warranted a response. The full text is below:
Due to a number of inquiries from press and soccer fans yesterday and today regarding Mix, I have been asked to convey the following:
- Mix is on vacation in Arizona and California and does not want to speak directly to press before the holidays, or before an agreement is in place regarding what club he is entering into agreement with for 2013.
- Mix's current employer is Rosenborg BK. In his opinion - a great club -- with the best of long term European tradition.
- Caleb Porter has contacted Mix and asked him to consider joining him on his move to the Portland Timbers, if possible.
- Mr. Porter is a coach that Mix personally has had time to evaluate and rate. Mix believes in Mr. Porter's potential to build balanced teams along the modern - and in the opinion of Mix - most fun styles of play.
- Representatives of the league ownership in MLS including Portland - and Mix - has not at this point attempted to contractually bind each other.
- Mix does not need to consider his willingness to struggle for the principles that he knows Mr Porter brings to the game. Nor does Mix need to consider or have any doubt that "The Timbers Army" long has been setting the standard for how football/soccer should be enjoyed in the United States of America and Canada. Mix is somewhat unfamiliar with both MLS and the Portland Timbers organization and player pool, but is very honored that both have asked him to help along and promote the world's overall greatest/biggest sport in the country he has chosen to represent internationally.
- The short term goal of Mix is to be able to co-contribute in moving the USMNT further up the FIFA World Ranking Table.
- Mix does know, that until now, it has been uncommon for young players of European leagues, educated in European leagues, to go play professionally in USA and Canada early on in their careers.
- If Mix returns to Norway before New Year, he does so in order to play for Rosenborg specifically.
- Mix enjoys his life, is grateful for the positive experiences his chosen sport has given him, and wish as many as possible – a merry christmas.
Player's Agent by demand.
Apparently Mix is represented by his father and is on vacation in the US as we speak [he does post on BigSoccer and said yesterday he was in San Diego - HEY I could try to hunt him down! FYI, I am now living in San Diego]. The writing does remind me of someone who fluent in English but is not a American writer. Something I am familiar with when living in Sweden.
Mix likes Porter and he wants to play for the USMNT. Sounds even more promising now except the part where it states no contract has been entered into as of now.
Thoughts? Concerns? Does it make you nervous or excited? Fine shout out to the Timbers Army in there too.