PORTLAND TIMBERS U23S VS. KITSAP PUMAS
JULY 15, 2012, 6:30PM
GLADSTONE HIGH SCHOOL, 18800 PORTLAND AVENUE, GLADSTONE, OR
TICKETS $5/ADULTS, $2/KIDS 12&UNDER
LIVE TWEETING @CascadiaFooty
(UPDATED TO INCLUDE RESULTS OF SEATTLE V. WASHINGTON MATCH)
The Portland Timbers U23s (10-4-2, 32pts.) will host the Kitsap Pumas (10-4-2, 32pts) for the third time this season when the face off at Gladstone High School Sunday at 6:30PM, in a match featuring the last two PDL Champions.
In their first meeting the season on May 24 at JELD-WEN Field, Portland crushed Kitsap 4-0 on goals from Andrew Riberio (33'), Cam Vickers (34'), and two goals fromSteven Evans (39', 54'). In the second meeting on June 9 in Bremerton, Kitsap and Portland traded goals in a 2-2 draw, with Clark Phillips (10') and Erik Hurtardo (54') scoring for Portland and Ben Truax scoring both goals (21'; 64') for Kitsap. In their third meeting, last Sunday in Hillsboro, both teams slugged it out for 87 minutes before Ben Truax snuck through the Portland defense to make it 1-0.
Portland comes into the game having beaten Washington Crossfire 3-0 on Wednesday in Redmond, WA, with goals from Steven Evans (14'), Erik Hurtado (37'), and Clark Phillips (62'). Kitsap comes in at 3-1-0 on their last 4 matches, but saw their US Open Cup hopes vanish after Portland's victory over Washington.
The winner of this match, as well as
the winner of Seattle Sounders U23s v. Washington Crossfire the Seattle Sounders U23s, who defeated Washington 3-1, will go on to face the two winners of the PDL Southwest Division play-in games in the Western Conference Semifinals, with dates, locations, and opponents to be determined.
- Portland's Mark Sherrod and Kitsap's Ben Truax with both name honorable mentions in last week's PDL Team of the Week.
- This is the second playoff meeting between these teams, with Portland winning 2-1 in the Western Conference Final on the way to becoming the 2010 PDL Champions with a perfect 16-0-0 record.
- Portland and Kitsap finished with identical records and split the season series, but Portland was awarded 2nd place with a +19 goal differential
- No Canadian-based Northwest Division squads qualified for the playoffs.
- Ben Truax scored all 3 goals for Kitsap against Portland this season, while Steven Evans scored 2 of Portland's 6 goals on the season.
- Portland finishes the regular season 6-2-0 at home, and 4-2-2 on the road
- Mark Sherrod sits among the league leaders in scoring, tied at 7th with 23 total points and tied for 5th with 10 goals in the season and shots attempted with 60.
- Cam Vickers sits in 3rd place with 8 assists.
- Spencer Richey and Kitsap's Zac Lubin are tied in 3rd place with 9 wins among goalkeepers. Lubin is also tied for second in shutouts with 7, while Richey has 3 on the season,
- This match will follow the Portland Rain hosting Eugene Metro FC on their final match of the season at 3:00PM.
Alright guys, I don't believe I have to say this but, just in case, please do not submit anything racist, homophobic, sexist or otherwise not appropriate for even the younger Timbers fans.