PORTLAND, OR - JULY 24: Actor Tom Hanks smiles before the game between Aston Villa and the Portland Timbers at Jeld-Wen Field on July 24, 2012 in Portland, Oregon. (Photo by Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images)
Aston Villa scored late in the first half, but the Portland Timbers young guns didn't give up. Through hard work and effort the Timbers twice came back from one-goal deficits to tie the game on goals from Sebastian Rincon and Rodney Wallace. In the obligatory shoot out all but Bright Dike scored, and the Timbers lost 2-2 (5-4).
Instead of doing a traditional recap for friendlies I just give a list of general observations and ask everyone to give their own in the comments. Observations after the jump.
I believe there is one question on everyone's mind: who starts on Saturday, and who helped their cause tonight? OK, two questions.
- First and foremost this is a friendly, so it doesn't mean a whole lot, but there are things we can take a way from it.
- The Timbers have a bright future if these players can get playing time
- Brent Richards is a lot like Mike Fucito in that he runs down almost every ball. I would say he deserves some more playing time.
- Ryan Kawulok showed he deserves some consideration as a RB.
- The Reserve league is such a joke with only 10 games. Portland needs to get these young players some time somewhere.
- Now I remember what it is like to watch a fun game....
- Lovel Palmer has lost his spot in the 18 in my opinion.
- Great gesture from Portland to clap all through the 19th minute.
- I really missed seeing Rodney Wallace on the wing for some weird reason. He could actually be a wing who plays both defense and offense.
What are your thoughts and observations?