Aston Villa scored late in the first half, but the Portland Timbers young guns didn't give up. Through hard work and effort the Timbers twice came back from one-goal deficits to tie the game on goals from Sebastian Rincon and Rodney Wallace. In the obligatory shoot out all but Bright Dike scored, and the Timbers lost 2-2 (5-4).
Instead of doing a traditional recap for friendlies I just give a list of general observations and ask everyone to give their own in the comments. Observations after the jump.
I believe there is one question on everyone's mind: who starts on Saturday, and who helped their cause tonight? OK, two questions.
- First and foremost this is a friendly, so it doesn't mean a whole lot, but there are things we can take a way from it.
- The Timbers have a bright future if these players can get playing time
- Brent Richards is a lot like Mike Fucito in that he runs down almost every ball. I would say he deserves some more playing time.
- Ryan Kawulok showed he deserves some consideration as a RB.
- The Reserve league is such a joke with only 10 games. Portland needs to get these young players some time somewhere.
- Now I remember what it is like to watch a fun game....
- Lovel Palmer has lost his spot in the 18 in my opinion.
- Great gesture from Portland to clap all through the 19th minute.
- I really missed seeing Rodney Wallace on the wing for some weird reason. He could actually be a wing who plays both defense and offense.
What are your thoughts and observations?