I have stated that while I really like both of these players I am not sure I want to see them both on the field at the same time as our two wingers. This is because I see them as very similar players whereas Nagbe, Eric Alexander and Zizzo offer more differences.
I feel like both of these players have a lot of similarities:
1. Both have skills with the ball at their feet but they can lose the ball in bad places
2. Both can deliver service into the box (including on the ground) better than Zizzo and EA (not sure about Nagbe from the wing)
3. Both seem to forget or sluff off on their responsibility to track back at times
4. Both are young and should have a desire to move to Europe and make the Timbers a good bit of cash in the transfer market
5. Both seem to get injured often/easily
The biggest difference I see:
1. Songo’o when he shoots actually puts the ball on frame whereas KAH very often tries to finesse the ball into the upper V and does not get it on frame.
I would love to see both of these guys develop their game and play really well for the Timbers for 2-3 years and for Portland to be able to sell one or both of them to a team in a quality league across the pond and make a boatload of money to invest in the team (can anyone help me to understand better how much of any potential money the Timbers keep and how much goes to MLS?). Then for these guys to become household names in Europe and help to build MLS’s reputation there (I think KAH has a better chance of doing this as Songo’o has had a chance already and did not stick).