There has been a fair amount of talk about the loss of Songo. There has also been a bunch of moves. Last year, we clearly did not address KNOWN gaps we had. (the backline, and a creative\attacking presence in the middle to begin with) Instead, we dropped huge cash on another forward, and ditched a forward who had much success elsewhere.
Personally, I have a history of being blindly optimistic. I want the team to do well so badly that it almost seems that if I believe strong enough, it'll help the team on the field. Dumb, I know. So....
- What do you think of the overall success of our off-season acquisitions?
- What is your stretch goal for the season?
- What do you think is a realistic expectation?
- What would you consider a failed season?
My response are:
1: I think we look much better coming in this year, than last.
- I am BLINDLY optimistic about Valeri. I think he is a major piece that we have been lacking. All reports thus far support this, but it is early days...
- I also think the acquisition of W Johnson is going to be a big improvement. Chara did not seem to have much help last year in the defense end of the middle, and I believe his presence is going to open Chara to getting more involved up the pitch.
- Defensively speaking, I am not sure. I do not know much about either of our acquisitions, but believe it will be difficult to NOT be better off than we were. As has been said before, our changes in the middle should help the backline also...
- Signing of the little train and not being DP status is good. We've obviously not seen much from him due to injury, but it is hard not to be optimistic given his pedigree, athleticism, and apparent desire for the ball. (He stole it from our own team in that only appearance in the last reserve game...Perhaps not ideal, but the kid has the desire!)
- While not an offseason acquisition, Caleb Porter has seemed like a good change. (both GW and JS) I like what he has to say, and it appears the players do too. The proof will be in the pudding of course...
- Finally, I am hoping we are not done. Dropping boyd, freeing up cash\dp spot\international spot is a good thing...he just was not going to fit in CP's as said by CP himself.
2: Winning a playoff game (Well...I'd love to feel like winning it all is the stretch goal, and why not aim for the stars...but if I am being honest, and trying to curb expectations to protect against the let down...I cannot say winning it all is in my vision of the possible...)
3: Making the playoffs
4: Not improving on our record last year, and not getting a few more road wins.