2013 was pretty darn good to Portland Futbol fans. It’s hard to pick just one moment from the year, but I’ll start with a list of some runners up in no particular order:
- ThornsFC won the inaugural season. Never, ever overlook what it means to have a championship team in town.
- Diego Valeri’s amazing finish against RBNY. This set the tone for the season. Not just the Maestro, PTFC was going to be ‘worth every penny.’
- Fish. Gutted.
- Fantastic Finishes – RW at Seattle, Beast against the Galaxy...
- Three little fingers to Alan Gordon, and a fantastic PK to shake the Quake.
- The crowd that would not go home after RSL in the playoffs. PT FC.
The Copa Verde! Sorry can't find the sarcasm font in this editor. Futty is probably still proud of that PK and wearing the band, but I’m not sure anyone else cares.
- Making CCL for '14 albeit by a rule change.
While my highlight happened on the pitch, it was not in a league match. 2013 was filled with proud moments, far better than anticipated results, passion, noise, goals, and perhaps a few Portland micro brews, the highlight of 2013 probably can be summed up simply:
If you don’t get a little choked up when watching the MLS video of the Green Machine entering the locker room, or the Timbers play with the kids, or the Army in the stands… you’re missing what makes Portland a great soccer town and probably at least a little of your humanity. Portland cares and it was clear that Portland Timbers FC cares right back.
So, in 2014…I hope for another great season on the pitch. I hope expectations remain high but managed. I hope for continued development of the roster. I hope for many more shining moments in an improving league where PTFC will catch nobody by surprise.
But I hope for health and happiness for Atticus, his team mates, all of our children, and our community, and our club as we enter the New Year. May we all count the blessings of ’13, and see them continue in the year to come.
Happy New Year to all here on STF!
(Feel free to share your own favorite moments of '13, or wishes for '14 on or off the pitch)