He just parted ways with Aston Villa.
Given the Timbers' preseason trades to get to the top of the MLS Allocation list (remember, Toronto still has the official #1 spot but agreed to look the other way as part of the deal), could the Timbers have an inside track if Lichaj chooses to look stateside?
Here are the reasons this would make sense:
- Lichaj is comfortable on either flank. The Timbers are an injury to Harrington or JJ away from looking pretty thin.
- When he has confidence, he provides good attacking width. For Porterball to reach its peak, Porter needs more from his outside backs than what either JJ or Harrington are giving him. Lichaj has a much better cross than either, again, when he is on his game.
- His quickness and athleticism are excellent. I watched him shut down Gareth Bale (not kidding).
- Players like Mobi Fehr, taking up roster space and not getting much time even in the reserves, are begging to be loaned.
- The deal with Toronto was specifically for Diskerud. Will Toronto still honor the agreement? Questionable.
- Lichaj will not come back to MLS cheaply. The Timbers will be competing for a number of European clubs for him. It's not certain the numbers work out.
- Even if the numbers do work out, is outside back where you want to invest them?