The recent upset of the Sounders by the Tampa Bay Rowdies is bad. Very bad.
And while it is not as bad as the Timbers loss to Cal FC last year (Sounders lost on the road to a professional squad while Timbers lost at home against an amateur side), the events in which the Sounders result played out are eerily similar to the Timbers embarrassing flop last year.
- Both games ended in a 1-0 score.
- In both games, the new big-shot DP signing failed to convert a penalty.
- In both games, the MLS side dominated, but couldn't find the back of the net.
- Both games landed on top of a disappointing start to a season in which expectations where high.
- In both cases, by losing, the MLS side threw away a chance for a big-money, high-profile home match against their top rival.
My wife and I are enjoying the new season of Arrested Development and [SPOILER ALERT!] it's been particularly humorous to watch George Sr.'s and Oscar's fortunes reversing after George is cursed for dismissing a "hallucinated" command to leave a plot of land he is currently occupying.
So for the superstitious among us, I must ask---could it be? Are the Timbers and Sounders experiencing the same phenomenon? Has the Timbers curse of 2012 been transferred to the Sounders?