The Timbers recently posted a press release to announce the college commitments of nine players from the U-18 Academy Team.
In addition to the five mentioned in a previous Sapling Snapshot the Timbers released the names of four additional players.
This will be a short series of the released commitments headed to collegiate programs in the fall. Part One: Akron (it had to be).
AKRON (2013: 17-4-1, 5-1 MAC, 2nd Round of NCAA Tournament, No. 22 Final Rank)
Niko De Vera, Defender, Washougal, Wash.
- De Vera has started 11 of 12 matches played for the U-18s this season and has netted three goals.
- De Vera made the bench for the Timbers Reserves for the first time in 2013 in a 2-1 win over San Jose and was an unused sub. Niko made his on-field debut in a 3-2 loss to Vancouver in Portland, playing 29 minutes. De Vera started and played the full 90 for the Reserves in a 1-0 loss at Real Salt Lake and a 4-1 loss to Seattle. De Vera also saw 34 minutes in a 4-1 loss at Chivas USA.
- Reserves: 243 minutes, 4 appearances, 3 road trips, 2 starts, 1 trip to VSI Tampa Bay FC
Jesse Garcia-Aguilar, Midfielder, Beaverton, Ore.
- Garcia-Aguilar has started all 10 matches he has played for the U-18s in 2013-14 and has tallied a pair of goals for the side.
- Garcia-Aguilar made his debut with the Timbers Reserves in a 1-0 loss to the Galaxy, seeing four minutes in his debut. Garcia notched 25 minutes at San Jose before starting and playing a full 90 against Vancouver and RSL. Jessie picked up 44 minutes on the pitch against Seattle at the end of the reserve season. Jesse also played 18 minutes in the Timbers’ friendly against Monarcas Morelia.
- Reserves*: 253 minutes, 5 appearances, 2 starts, 1 road trip
Anthony Macchione, Forward, Camas, Wash.
- I believe Macchione may have been one of the first, if not the first Academy player to play for the Timbers Reserves. I’m fairly certain he is also the first Timbers Academy player to score for the Reserves.
- Macchione has torched the goal for the U-18s with 10 goals in nine starts (nine matches played).
- Anthony made his 2013 debut for the Timbers Reserves in the 90th minute against San Jose. Macchione started and played 90 at Vancouver before earning one minute at VSI Tampa Bay FC. Anthony started and earned the full 90 against the Galaxy and twice against RSL. It was in the second match against RSL that Anthony scored the tying goal in a 1-1 draw. Macchione also saw time against Chivas USA, Colorado and the second leg against Vancouver.
- Anthony started and played a full 90 against the University of Portland and also entered in the 71st in the Timbers’ friendly against Monarcas Morelia.
- Reserves*: 421 minutes, 9 appearances, 4 starts, 3 road trips, 1 goal, 1 trip to VSI Tampa Bay FC
*does not include friendly against Monarcas Morelia or University of Portland