clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Portland Timbers Finally Win; Beat D.C. United 3-2 With Last Second Goal

The Timbers break their winless streak with a last second goal.

Steve Dykes-USA TODAY Sports

It took nine games, but the Portland Timbers have finally won a match, getting their first three point night thanks to a 3-2 victory over D.C. United. The Timbers left it late, scoring in the final minute of stoppage time to secure the win.

With the score tied at 2-2, the Timbers threw numbers forward in stoppage time. In the 94', with only seconds left before the final whistle, Diego Valeri sent a curling pass into the box from the right wing. Maximiliano Urruti was on hand to redirect the ball on goal, only to have it bounce off of the near post. Urruti was quick to recover as the ball bounced back toward him, putting a knee on the ball and sending it just inside the far post for the winning goal.

The Timbers got off to a fast start in the match as Darlington Nagbe picked off an errant pass less than half a minute into the match. Nagbe immediately found Valeri dashing down the right wing and from there the Maestro only had to pick his head up to see Gaston Fernandez streaking into the box. Valeri fed in a low cross to Fernandez who flicked the ball up and over an onrushing Bill Hamid, before performing an acrobatic over-the-head kick to put the ball into the back of the net in the team's fastest goal since joining MLS.

United battled back, however, managing to break out of a long period of Timbers possession with some direct play down the pitch. In the 21', Perry Kitchen dropped the ball back to Davy Arnaud in a pocket of space 35 yards from goal. Arnaud teed up the ball and managed to fire off a shot just as Diego Chara closed him down. The ball skimmed off the Timbers' midfielder's foot and looped up and over Donovan Ricketts, tucking nicely into the corner of the goal and leveling the scoreline at 1-1.

The Timbers seemed briefly stunned by giving up yet another equalizer in a game where they controlled possession, but were soon pushing forward once again. The team's continued pressure paid off with a corner kick in the 38' that Diego Valeri swung into the D.C. box. The ball curled in, flying just past the head of Pa Modou Kah, only to be hit on the volley inches from the ground by Futty Danso. The shot zipped into the back of the net, giving Futty his first regular season goal for the Timbers since 2011.

The second United equalizer came in the 78', as United enjoyed their strongest push forward of the game. Off a corner kick given up when Futty blocked away a D.C. cross, United sent in the corner and, as both teams rose up to contest the ball, it deflected off of Futty and bounced into the back of the net, just outside of the reach of Ricketts.