clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

T2 Get A 3-1 Win Over Austin

Kevin N. Hume

It was the final five minutes of both halves where all the goals happened. T2 grabbed a 2-0 lead at the end of the first before capping off a 3-1 win right before second half stoppage.

For the first 40 minutes of the first half it appeared that it was going to be a stalemate going into the half. But after two horrible road performances, T2 weren't going to have a repeat at home. Captain Blair Gavin opened the scoring in the 41st minute giving the home side the 1-0 lead. Belmar had a shot from distance blocked but he got it right back. He tapped the ball back to Gavin who unleashed a strong shot from outside the box that went into the left side netting.

Not to be outdone by his captain, Belmar unleashed his speed and beat his defender in the air to a long ball sent up to him in the 43rd minute. He then got the ball before the keeper could and the keeper's swipe, having missed the ball, took out Belmar's left leg in the box. He stumbled and went down but only briefly. He jumped right back up and kept after the ball until the ref blew the whistle for the foul. Austin keeper Devin Perales was issued a red card and T2 got the penalty. After a minute or so to swap keepers and let their #1 hit the locker room early, Fatawu stepped up to take the PK. He calmly slotted the ball up and to the right while substitute keeper Cody Laurendi just kind of stood there and watched it go by. It is very difficult to be that keeper coming on to immediately face a penalty kick. Right after Fatawu scored, the ref blew the whistle for half time.

The second half was much of the same with the exception that T2 were up a man and mostly dominated where the ball was being played. Austin got a few breaks but nothing seemed dangerous at all. That changed in the 88th minute when Trevin Caesar beat Delbridge in a straight out foot race to get on the end of a very long ball sent his way. He slipped the ball past Gleeson from the top of the box into the bottom right corner to bring Austin back within a goal and just minutes left to play.

But T2 responded immediately. Less than one minute later Jeanderson put the match away with T2's third goal of the night. In the 89th minute Jeanderson made a run from the left side of T2's defensive third through midfield all the way to the top of the box. Jeanderson laid the ball off to Winchester who sent it right back to Jeanderson who cut inside and slotted the ball into the far left netting sealing the result for T2.

After two uninspiring road results, tonight's 3-1 home win will be a great confidence booster heading into their next match. Although it will be a road trip again, at least from this point forward T2 has a lot more home games than road games to look forward to. The next match will be a week from today on June 21st, Father's day, as T2 travel north to face Cascadian rivals Whitecaps 2 for the first time. Kickoff will be at 2:00pm pacific.