clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Portland Timbers Surge In Second Half, Beat Seattle Sounders 4-1

William Conwell

The Portland Timbers bulldozed their bitter rivals, the Seattle Sounders, today as the two teams met in front of the Timbers Army at Providence Park. The Sounders kept it close through the end of the first half, but the Timbers were able to take them apart in the second, finishing the match with a 4-1 scoreline.

The Timbers put Seattle under pressure from the start of the match and the results were telling early on as the Timbers opened the scoring in the 12th minute. As the Timbers worked the ball around the field, eventually it was chipped to Adi at the top of the formation. With Chad Marshall ever present on his back, Adi managed to hold off the big defender and drop the ball for Gaston Fernandez, running through the midfield.

From there it was a series of quick touches that unlocked the Seattle defense with Fernandez finding Diego Valeri in the center of the pitch where the Maestro played a quick ball forward for the run of Darlington Nagbe. Nagbe, who terrorized the Seattle defense for much of the half, took a quick touch to get clear of the Seattle defense and loosed a long range strike that streaked past the dive of Stefan Frei and into the back of the net, giving the Timbers the 1-0 lead.

The Timbers kept up the pressure as the half went on, putting a number of shots on the Seattle goal, but none the equal of Nagbe's strike. For the Sounders, chances were few in the first half, but as time went on they found themselves with a free kick wide on the Timbers' right flank. Swinging a curling ball to the back post, the Sounders found Lamar Neagle, who was able to get a strong foot on the ball, burying it past Adam Kwarasey and pulling the Sounders level.

The even footing would not last, however, as the Timbers came out energized in the second half and once again took the fight to the Sounders.

In the 74th minute the floodgates opened for the Timbers as Diego Chara won the ball deep in the Timbers' midfield and playined it forward to Nagbe in the center of the pitch. Driving toward the Seattle back line, Nagbe ate up ground until the last second before playing a short pass to the feet of Adi, once again bodied up against Marshall. With his first touch, Adi hit a precise, curling strike that Frei could only whiff at as it found the upper ninety of the Seattle goal, giving the Timbers the lead once again.

Just two short minutes later the Timbers struck again, with Adi driving at the Seattle back line this time. As Fernandez overlapped to his right, drawing off a defender, Adi found room to unleash a pile-driver shot, slamming the ball into the back of the net. Scoring his seventh brace of his MLS career, Adi put the Timbers up 3-1 with the chance.

Finally, the Timbers finished off the match with a stoppage time insurance goal. Maximiliano Urruti found himself dribbling into the Seattle box in the 91st minute and, as the Sounders back line collapsed on him, Urruti managed a quick pass to the feet of Rodney Wallace. With no hesitation, Wallace opened his account for the 2015 season, finishing handily past Frei to finish off the match and give the Timbers their biggest margin of victory so far this season.

The Timbers move into 3rd place in the Western Conference with the win and will travel to face Real Salt Lake in a U.S. Open Cup match this Wednesday before returning home for their next league match against the San Jose Earthquakes on Sunday.