clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Recap: S2 Complete The Sweep Against T2

T2 went down 2 goals during a sloppy first half. And despite a much better second half they could not recover.

Kevin N. Hume

In another battle at Starfire Stadium, S2 came out victorious again. S2 completed the series sweep of T2 winning all four regular season matches against T2 and a fifth match in the US Open Cup. T2 will have to make the playoffs in order to possibly see S2 again before next season.

The first half was a sloppy affair by the visitors. T2 put out a lineup that was missing a few of the more important players for the team, including Jake Gleeson, Kharlton Belmar, and Anthony Manning. S2 enjoyed dominance over T2 for the majority of the half and brought that dominance to the scoreboard putting 2 goals past T2 before the half.

In the 26th minute Harrison Delbridge slid to intercept an S2 pass. He was successful but his momentum carried him into the ball and it bumped his arm. He was whistled for a hand ball and given a yellow card. Aaron Kovar stepped up to take the free kick about 5 yards out from the top center of the T2 box. He sent his kick over the wall and Giuliano Frano headed the goal past Luthy for the opener and the 1-0 lead for the hosts.

In the 32nd minute Oalex Anderson followed up with the second for the night. Anderson had the T2 backline in his pocket for the most of the match. An S2 clearance went out to the far touch and Steven Evans stepped up to win the ball. But he didn't. Oalex Anderson was on top of him and jumped on the missed touch by Evans going in one-on-one against Thoma. Both T2 and S2 got a player up in support so it was still a 2v2 situation. But Anderson didn't need to pass to his partner in the center of the box. He slotted the ball home for the goal. Towards the very end of the first half S2 had another golden opportunity to net a third but Luthy got a fingertip to the shot for a great save and prevented T2 from going down even further.

T2 had a much improved second half. Finding themselves with better passing and possession than in the first half. They also had the majority of chances, but unfortunately could not convert anything. So the second half ended with no goals. T2 got 5 shots to S2's 2 shots in the second half and had 4 of their 6 corner kicks in the second half. And with 6 of the 8 yellow cards given out in the second half T2 suffered a lot more fouls than S2 did. With 4 of 5 Seattle yellows coming on fouls of T2 players in the second half.

But T2 could not break the S2 defense and convert any of their chances. Try and try as they might, T2 couldn't get a result. The S2 defense bent but did not break. So with this victory, S2 got 2 goals, a shutout, sole ownership of 1st place in the USL Western conference, and the series sweep over T2. And now T2 have a super short turnaround as they have to rush back to Portland and get ready to face LA Galaxy II (Los Dos) on Sunday night, 7pm, at Merlo Field. And speaking of rushing back to Portland, I am going to rush myself back right now too.