clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Recap: T2 Season 1 Ends on a High Note

A second half goal by Rundell Winchester and a T2 defense that stayed strong earned a 1-0 shutout victory for the visitors in their final match of 2015.

The first half was a bit slow at times, neither side generating a shot on goal until the hosts were able to in the 34th minute. And T2 couldn't put it together in the final third in the first half. But in the second they combined a chance conversion by Winchester in the 48th minute with a strong defensive effort to earn themselves a 1-0 shutout victory to end their first season on a high note.

The first part of the first half saw both teams testing each other as they battled in the midfield. Very similar to their previous match this season except LA Galaxy II were unable to find the early goal this time. Overall the half went to LA. Especially since they were the only ones to see a couple of shots on goal. They didn't come until the 34th and 35th minutes via forward Jack McBean. But T2's defense was able to bend and not break, absorbing the LA pressure and trying to spark counters for the T2 offense.

T2 started off the second half as good as you could hope for. Coming out of the break T2 were able to spark a counter and in the 48th minute Seaton got a short cross into the center of the box to Rundell Winchester. Winchester made no mistake as he was able to finish past Rowe and his shot bounced off the inside of the left post and across the goal line for the opener. With a one goal lead, the visitors gained lots of confidence and in the 53rd minute Winchester was able to turn and put another powerful shot that forced LA's keeper Rowe into a great diving save to keep it a one goal game.

Another quality chance for T2 came in the 61st minute as they continued to fire at LA. A corner kick by T2 didn't get cleared and was shuffled around in traffic before Winchester got to it and toe poked it a yard or two over for Seaton. Seaton shot through traffic and the ball came off the left post. T2 followed that up with earning a penalty kick in the 71st minute when the center ref determined that LA's Steres had bearhugged Seaton and dragged him down as he tried to get on the end of a ball. After Seaton had stepped up to take the kick and was ready to shoot, the center ref had a meeting with the assistant ref and ended up reversing his call.

After 4 clear chances for the visitors, and converting one of them, Los Dos finally began to sense the clock running out and started finding more attacking opportunities. But the T2 defense held and Luthy continued to make key saves to keep T2 in the lead. With seconds left on the clock LA had their best opportunity to equalize as a flurry of shots within a few seconds went at the right corner of the T2 goal. None of them could go in and eventually the ball went out for a goal kick. But that was it as the second half ended and T2 ended their season with a well earned shutout road victory in Carson, California.

With the final victory, T2 end their first season out of the playoff picture. Regardless of other final results they will see themselves finish in 8th place in the USL western conference with an 11-15-2 overall record, good for 35 points. They split their home matches 50/50 with a 7-7-0 home record, and went 4-8-2 on the road. With 38 goals scored, 45 against, they end with a -7 goal differential. And Kharlton Belmar secures the team's golden boot having put 12 of those 38 goals away himself. And T2 will be back, in 2016.