clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Portland Timbers Grab Early Goal, Lose 2-1 to FC Dallas

Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

Fans of the Portland Timbers will have a strong feeling of deja vu tonight after the side went up 1-0 early on, but ultimately lost tonight's road match against FC Dallas 2-1.

The Timbers came out looking proactive in this match and the stratagem paid off early, getting on the board in the just the third minute. Darron Mattocks started the move thanks to industry out on the left flank. Bringing the ball down and turning on his man, Mattocks was able to break down the wing and send in a curling cross. Dallas defender Maynor Figueroa got a head on the ball, but could not clear and immediately found himself under pressure from Lucas Melano.

With the ball bouncing around in a quick scrum, Melano came away with it and, after a pair of quick touches, picked out a simple pass across the top of the six yard box. As Dallas keeper Chris Seitz could only look on, Diego Valeri arrived to side-foot home the pass from Melano, giving the Timbers the 1-0 lead.

Dallas almost pulled one back in the 22nd minute, but Jake Gleeson was on the scene for another one of the highlight reel saves for which he is known. Former Timber Maximiliano Urruti received the ball even with the Timbers back line, taking a quick touch in behind the defense. With only Gleeson in front of him, Urruti went for the finish, only to see Gleeson rush out and make the close range block.

Dallas would get their breakthrough early in the second half as the hosts came out of the break playing with enthusiasm. In the 55th minute, Dallas got the ball down and played it around the periphery of the Timbers box, eventually getting it to the feet of fullback Ryan Hollingshead. Hollingshead drove at the Timbers' box and fired off an awkward shot, only to see the lunge of Liam Ridgewell deflect the ball over Gleeson and into the back of the Timbers net.

The Timbers seemed stunned by the goal and only two minutes later gave up another. In the 57th minute, Dallas won a corner moments after the restart. Mauro Diaz sent in a curling ball that dropped nicely into the Timbers box, finding the head of Walker Zimmerman. Zimmerman got just enough on the ball to redirect it inside the far post and give Dallas the 2-1 lead.

From there the Timbers would push forward hard looking for the equalizer, but the chances never quite materialized leaving the match to end 2-1 Dallas.

The Timbers return home on Sunday to host New York City FC.