clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Fanendo Adi Makes History As Portland Timbers Beat Philadelphia Union 3-1 On The Road

MLS: New England Revolution at Portland Timbers Jaime Valdez-USA TODAY Sports

The Portland Timbers got their second road win of 2017 today, running out the 3-1 winners against the Philadelphia Union. It was Fanendo Adi who scored the Timbers’ third, making him the Timbers’ all-time leading scorer.

The Union came knocking early in the match as the Timbers got off to a sluggish start. Sending the ball down the pitch to resurgent starter CJ Sapong, the Union forward flicked an outrageous back-heeled pass into the path of Philadelphia full back Fabinho. Taking a touch toward goal, Fabinho was met by Jake Gleeson who slide in on the Brazilian, making the last-second save.

The break through would come for the home side in the 23rd minute, off a curled in corner kick. Haris Medunjanin dropped a well placed ball into the Timbers box, finding the head of Richie Marquez who out-jumped Fanendo Adi and Lawrence Olum to nod the ball past Gleeson at the far post.

After several more moments of uncertainty, the Timbers turned the corner and quickly found themselves back back in it with a 32nd minute goal. Darlington Nagbe got on the ball, cutting in from the left flank and corralling the ball through a Union tackle. With pressure collapsing on him, Nagbe hit a hard shot at the near the post, sneaking the ball past the dive of Philadelphia keeper Andre Blake for the equalizer.

Now on the front foot, the Timbers would pull ahead in the 66th minute off a set piece of their own. This time it was Valeri whipping a ball into the Union box and again Marquez got a head on the ball, this time redirecting it around Blake and giving the Timbers a 2-1 lead.

With two minutes left in the match, Adi would make history, scoring the Timbers’ third of the match and his 46th as a Timber to make him the side’s all-time leading scorer. It was Darren Mattocks who would set the goal up breaking in on the Union goal before being hauled down by Blake, giving the referee no choice but to point to the spot. With Blake on the line, Adi stepped up and sent the Union keeper the wrong way as he hit a simple shot to his right that rippled the back of the net and put the Timbers at 3-1 in the 88th minute.

The Union return to Providence Park next Saturday when they host Sporting Kansas City.