clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Another Bad Game: Portland Timbers Lose 4-1 at Montreal Impact

MLS: Portland Timbers at Montreal Impact Jean-Yves Ahern-USA TODAY Sports

The Portland Timbers went to Montreal with three points in mind, but instead were embarrassed by Ignacio Piatti and the Montreal Impact in a 4-1 drubbing.

Things started off poorly for the Timbers as referee Jair Marufo gifted the Impact a penalty kick in the 13th minute. With newly arrived designated player Blerim Dzemaili carrying the ball into the Timbers’ box, Sebastian Blanco caught up the the Montreal player, brushing his shoulder with a hand in the process. The contact may have been light, but it was enough to send Dzemaili toppling to the ground and prompt Marufo to point to the spot despite the Timbers’ protestations.

With the penalty given it was Impact totem Piatti stepping up to take. As Piatti struck his spot kick, Timbers’ keeper Jake Gleeson was sent the wrong way and Piatti converted to give Montreal the 1-0 lead and take his place as the side’s all-time leading scorer.

Things went from bad to stupid for the Timbers in the 18th minute as Diego Chara picked up the Timbers’ first red card of the season. Running by Piatti in the Montreal half, Chara flung an arm up and into the face of the Impact goal scorer making obvious contact. With no controversy this time, Marufo made his second game-changing call of the day, raising a red card and sending Chara off.

It looked like the Timbers might be completely done in the 43rd minute as the Impact grabbed their second goal of the match. Off a corner kick, Dzemaili served in a curling ball that dropped past the far post, finding the head of Impact center back Kyle Fisher. Rising up over the jump of Alvas Powell, Fisher hit a looping ball back across the face of goal that Gleeson could only swipe at before it landed inside the far post.

Rumors of the Timbers’ demise appeared to be exaggerated, however, and the side responded to giving up their second goal with a strike of their own, pulling one back in first half stoppage time. With the Timbers breaking down the pitch, Powell floated an early cross into the Montreal box, finding Diego Valeri just off the back shoulder of his defender. With only Impact keeper Evan Bush in front of him, Valeri snapped a header back across goal finding the back of the net and pulling the Timbers back within one.

Montreal would take control back early in the second half, however, extending their lead back out to two with a 50th minute goal from Piatti. Cutting in from the left wing, Piatti dribbled into the heart of the Timbers’ defense before taking a skipping shot that just picked out the inside of the post past the dive of Gleeson.

Despite being down a man, chances would continue to come for the Timbers as the side looked to get back into the match. Generating chances and one call for a penalty of their own, the Timbers looked like they at least had a chance to claw their way back into the game.

That is, until Impact full back Ambrose Oyongo buried them with a 77th minute goal. After youngster Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla got past Vytas on the Timbers’ left and carried the ball into the box, Oyongo bombed forward, arriving at the edge of the box just in time for Table to slip a simple ball through to him. With the Timbers spinning, Oyongo hit a smooth, simple shot that skipped past Gleeson to make the scoreline 4-1 to Montreal.

With the loss, the Timbers remain at fourth place in the Western Conference and extend their winless streak to four.

The Timbers are on the road again next week, heading up north to take on the Seattle Sounders on Saturday, May 27th.