As far as I’m concerned, that draw against the Fish was a loss.
There is no way that the Timbers shouldn’t have picked up all three points last week. But once again the Timbers played for 89-ish minutes and let things get away after that. It’s a scary trend and one I would like to see end tonight.
One would hope with the hapless LA Galaxy coming into Providence Park that the Portland Timbers can right the ship and collect three points at home. For the Galaxy it’s a must win game; that way they can climb out of dead-last and vault over the Colorado Rapids. It’s a lost season for the Galaxy, and at this point they’re playing for pride.
These two teams last played on Oct. 7th, when the Timbers had an emphatic 6-3 demolishing of the Galaxy on their home pitch.
In 19 matches against the visiting Galaxy, the Maestro Diego Valeri has collected eight goals and eight assists. I think Valeri can lead tonight’s offense; it’s the defense that needs keep it’s head on a swivel. No more of this 89-ish minutes of play where you command the game and then switch off in the waning minutes.
With a win tonight the Timbers can once again get into a tie for first place in the Western Conference. They’d also clinch a spot in the playoffs. Wouldn’t that be sweet.
- OUT: M - Dairon Asprilla (left knee surgery 5/21, out for season) - READ
- OUT: M - Sebastian Blanco (torn ACL 9/6, out for season) - READ
- OUT: D - Julio Cascante (left ankle injury)
- QUESTIONABLE: F - Blake Bodily (right thigh injury)
- QUESTIONABLE: F - Jeremy Ebobisse (concussion)
- QUESTIONABLE: M - Marvin Loria (abdomen injury)
- QUESTIONABLE: D - Danilo Acosta (ACL surgery 2/21, out 7-9 months)
- QUESTIONABLE: F - Javier Hernandez (hamstring injury) <— will NOT play
Location: Providence Park, Portland OR
Kick-off time: 7:00 Pacific / 10:00 Eastern
TV broadcast: ESPN
Rival SB Nation site: LAG Confidential
Radio broadcast: 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish)