clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Diego Valeri named MLS Player of the Week

The midfielder had two goals and one assist in

MLS: Portland Timbers at San Jose Earthquakes Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports

Portland Timbers midfielder Diego Valeri was named the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for Week 12. It’s the first time he has earned the honor this season.

Valeri scored two goals plus an assist in a 6-1 routing of the San Jose Earthquakes this past Saturday. Valeri has six goals and five assists on the year and is slowly but surely moving his way up in the record books. With his penalty goal on Saturday he moved up to fifth on the all-time list, with 20 now in his career.

The MLS Player of the Week is voted on by media members and fans alike, with 75% of the vote coming from journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters and the other 25% coming from a Twitter fan vote. You can read more about it here.