The Portland Thorns are back in action after a chaotic and distressing week around the league. It all started on Thursday when Meg Linehan of The Athletic reported on the alleged sexual coercion of Sinead Farrelly and Mana Shim by former Thorns coach Paul Riley.
After the reports surfaced the players communicated with the league and the matches scheduled for Oct. 1-3 were postponed. NWSL matches are back today after a very harrowing week.
Protests from the Rose City Riveters, Timbers Army and 107IST have already occurred and are expected to continue tonight after the supporters announced a boycott of Providence Park concessions and PTFC official merchandise.
It is important to remember that these players need and deserve support, especially after this week. If possible go to the stadium and support the players and if you can’t, watch the match on FOX 12+ or Paramount+.
The Thorns players released a statement that can be found below. The statement calls for the immediate suspension of general manager Gavin Wilkinson, increased diversity of voices within the club’s board of executives, and that the players are given a seat at the table to increase transparency.
The club announced that Wilkinson is on administrative leave from the Thorns effective immediately.
Location: Providence Park I Portland, OR.
Time: 7:00 p.m. Pacific
Watch: FOX 12+, Paramount+
A lot has happened since the Thorns’ last match you can read more below. The articles will be listed in chronological order.
- Former Thorns coach Paul Riley accused of sexual coercion
- NWSL postponed this weekend’s matches
- Rose City Riveters gather in front of Providence Park to show support for players
- Niezgoda scores late winner in Timbers’ first-ever meeting with Inter Miami
- Merritt Paulson pens open letter
- Farrelly, Shim, Morgan featured on Today Show
- Rose City Riveters, Timbers Army, 107IST release list of demands to PTFC Front Office
- Read the Portland Thorns players’ statement released before the match: