It’s officially time for the draw! The Portland Timbers are back in the Concacaf Champions League after winning the MLS is Back Tournament in 2020. They haven’t been in the tournament since 2016, when they lost to Costa Rican side and now potential opponent Deportiva Saprissa. They also lost to another potential matchup back in 2014, when they fell to Honduran side C.D. Olimpia.
Below we have the draw pots as well as the procedure for how it’ll all happen. Now we’ll just wait and see who Portland draws. Join in on the fun!
Pot 1: Toronto FC or Forge FC (CAN), CF Monterrey (MEX), Club America (MEX), Cruz Azul (MEX), Atlanta United (USA), Columbus Crew (USA), Philadelphia Union (USA), Portland Timbers (USA)
Pot 2: Saprissa (CRC), Alajuelense (CRC), Atletico Pantoja (DOM), Arcahaie (HAI), Marathon (HON), CD Olimpia (HON), Club Leon (MEX), Real Esteli (NCA)
- Teams are separated into two pots based off Concacaf ranking system.
- There are also another two pots grouped A1 through A8 and B1 and B8
- Pot A and Pot B will determine the bracket position
- A team is drawn from Pot 1 followed by one of the eight bracket positions.
- That process is repeated until every team in Pot 1 has a position.
- The same process occurs for Pot 2 teams, with bracket numbers determining the matchups against the Pot 1 team.
How to Watch:
When: 4 p.m. PT, Wednesday Feb. 10
TV: Fox Sports, TUDN