clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Timbers shut out by Union 3-0 in final match before break

In their final match before the June break, the Portland Timbers fell to the Philadelphia Union 3-0 at Subaru Park.

MLS: Portland Timbers at Philadelphia Union Mitchell Leff-USA TODAY Sports

In their final game before the June break, the Portland Timbers fell to the Philadelphia Union 3-0 at Subaru Park. The loss puts the Timbers at 3-4-0 (W-L-D) heading into the break. It’s the first time the Timbers have lost to the Union since 2015.

The Timbers struggled to defend set pieces all night, leading ultimately to their downfall. Kacper Przylbylko scored the first goal of the night for the Union off a free kick in the 26th minute. Philadelphia scored their two other goals off of set pieces, the first coming from Sergio Santos in the 31st minute and the second from Jack Elliott in the 63rd minute.

Portland created some opportunities through set pieces early on in this one. Diego Valeri drew a foul in the third minute for a free kick opportunity, but his goal attempt off the kick was saved. Valeri then took the corner kick for Portland in the 12th minute and tried to work it to Felipe Mora. Mora’s header attempt was well wide of the goal.

Kacper Przybylko and the Union struck first in this one. Philadelphia won the free kick in the 26th minute. Kai Wagner launched a ball towards the goal and Przybylko locked in on it right away. He drifted right into the box and knocked a header into the back of the goal. It’s the first goal that Logan Ketterer has allowed in his MLS career.

The second goal conceded by Ketterer would come soon after. In the 31st minute, the Union earned another set piece opportunity and set up for the corner kick. Wagner sent the corner in to Przybylko who redirected the ball with a header. The ball found the foot of Sergio Santos, who put it in the goal to make it 2-0 Philadelphia.

The Union almost made it 3-0 in the 45th minute. With another set piece opportunity, the Union found the back of the net, but VAR took the goal back after it became clear that Leon Flach committed the handball. Heading into the half, the Timbers trailed 2-0.

Portland looked a lot stronger to start the second half. They were generating better chances for themselves and looked bound for a breakthrough sooner rather than later. They had their best chance of the night off a corner kick in the 56th minute. Diego Valeri played a short pass to Marvin Lloria who worked it to Mora in the box. The Chilean striker lost his footing, however, and his shot was well off target.

The Union earned back their third goal with another set piece in the 63rd minute. Jamiro Monteiro took the corner and launched it to Chris Burke. Burke’s header was blocked by Ketterer, but Burke regained control and got it to defender Jack Elliott. Elliott flicked it in for Philadelphia’s third goal.

The Timbers didn’t lie down and die entirely after falling down by three scored. They created several more chances for themselves, with Jeremy Ebobisse finally coming to life with two shots that were blocked in the 78th minute. But blocked shots don’t count for anything, and the Timbers remained scoreless. Portland would fall 3-0.

The Timbers are off for most of the month until June 19th when they’ll restart MLS play with a match against Sporting Kansas City.