1) Sorry, everyone, but I’m done. After eight wonderful years, Six Degrees has stopped feeling like a fun creative outlet and instead feels like work. It’s been like this for awhile, but I thought I could tough it out until the end of the season. Alas, I cannot. I’m just too burnt out, so this will be my last column, possibly forever.
2) I started writing about the Timbers in 2013, back when the website Slide Rule Pass was still a thing. I started it on a lark, never imagining it would last eight years. It’s been a hell of a fun ride.
3) But the ride’s been less fun lately, and I’m not entirely sure why. Am I having less fun at games? Am I exhausted by having to analyze games, think big thoughts, and put those thoughts into words? Am I frustrated by the people in my new section, who are kinda dicks? Am I pissed about the Jebo trade? Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Yes to all of the above.
4) So now I’m going to watch games with zero thought whatsoever. I’m just going to sit there and enjoy the moments, enjoy the soccer, enjoy the experience, safe in the knowledge that, no matter what happens on the field, good or bad, I won’t have to put any of it into words. I’ll just be a fan. Just one more guy at the stadium, cheering on the Green and Gold.
5) Will I miss writing this column? Right now, no. Not a bit. But in the future? Possibly. I’m a creative guy, and there may be times where I’ll have a bunch of creative thoughts and really want an outlet for them. If so, maybe I’ll ask Stumptown Footy if I can post something here. But that’s all hypothetical. For now, I’m done, and it’s feeling pretty permanent.
6) Thank you all so much for reading my words over the years. Thank you for your kind words in comments. I rarely reply to them, since compliments make me all awkward and shy, but trust me, I see them and appreciate them. You’re the best.
And with that, I bid you farewell. Go Timbers.