The Portland Thorns finally turned their losing streak around with a 3-0 win over Angel City on June 3rd. Christine Sinclair scored her 6th brace in her NWSL career and Kelli Hubly scored the first goal of her professional career.
We finally have more positive highs than lows to discuss.
- The Thorns did have quite a few giveaways, but luckily they didn’t amount to too much for the visitors.
- Although the Thorns won 3-0, LA held the majority of the possession for the game.
- Portland also gave away almost 15 corners to Angel City. And although the Thorns defended them well it’s still a lot of opportunities to give up.
- I mean... Kelli Hubly with her first-ever professional goal! And it was a beauty of a header from Sophia Smith’s service in.
Set piece perfection #BAONPDX pic.twitter.com/q7sVF0jlel— Portland Thorns FC (@ThornsFC) June 4, 2022
- Sinclair scored a brace and it was amazing to see. I do, however, still feel like she would perhaps perform better in more of a midfield position. But if she produces goals I really can’t complain.
Simply, the @sincy12 | #BAONPDX pic.twitter.com/wMOiUehtVa— Portland Thorns FC (@ThornsFC) June 4, 2022
- Sophia Smith, although she didn’t score, was working from end to end to make things happen.
Can't teach that ️@sophsssmith | #BAONPDX pic.twitter.com/60EvlbIpno— Portland Thorns FC (@ThornsFC) June 4, 2022
- The assists for the goals all came from different players: a service in from Smith, a pass from Sugita, and a cross from Janine Beckie.
- This was also the first game where I felt like I saw Janine Beckie’s impact on the game. Aside from her assist she was also defending well and creating chances offensively for the Thorns.